Dr. Degui Sun
Dr. DeGui received his B.S. degree in optical engineering in 1985 from the Harbin Institute of Technology, China, and in 1988 and 1993 he respectively earned his Master and Ph.D degrees in nonlinear optics and applications from the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) at Changchun Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics. In 1991, 1993 and 1994, he received the second-level prize of the CAS President Scholarship, the third-level award of natural science research of the CAS and the Young Scientist Award of Jilin Province, respectively. From August 1994 to March 1998, he was a postdoctoral fellow in the Microelectronics Research Centre, University of Texas at Austin, USA, where he started his research in field of optical waveguide optical switches and modulators. From 1998 to the end of 2001, he ever worked in an Ottawa-based start-up – Zenastra Photonics for developing the products of integrated optical components for communications; from January 2002 to July 2003, as research associate and group leader he worked in the Faculty of Engineering at Northwestern University, USA; and from 2003 to end of 2006 he executed his “100-Talent-Plan” Project of the CAS entitled by “research on advanced components for optical communications” at Changchun Institute of Optics, Fine Mechanics and Physics (CIOMP). Since 2008 he has been joining the Centre for Research in Photonics at uOttawa where he was ever project director, the co-founder and Chief Scientist of a startup company– D&T Photonics (DTP) spun-off from uOttawa, and he is also a visiting professor in uOttawa, Canada, and an invited professor of Changchun University of Science and Technology (CUST), China. At his current position, he has obtained the excellent achievements in both science research and product development.
Since 2009, in the silicon photonic integrated switching devices, and the ferroelectric crystal waveguide EO modulators and newly opened EO electric-field sensors, he has published more than 20 papers in erudite journals, more than 20 articles in conference proceedings including recent 3 invited speeches, he obtained 1 US patent and 1 China patent, and has 2 invention announcements, he ever revised one chapter for his friend’s book. Currently, he is an IEEE member, the member of Editorial Board of the AASCIT Journal of Materials Sciences and Applications and the reviewers of several journals in photonics, the program chairs and reviewers of several international conferences
- D. G. Sun, ‘Manipulation of the coherent spatial and angular shifts of Goos-Hänchen effect to realize the digital optical switch in SOI waveguide corner’, J. Appl. Phys. 120(18), 183101 (2016).
- J. Wang, D. G. Sun et al., “Improved silica-PLC MZI-type optical switches with error dependence compensation of directional coupler,” Opt. Las. Technol. 89(2), 208-213 (2017).
- . G. Sun, et al., ‘Theoretical feasibility demonstration for over 100GHz electro-optic modulators with c-axis grown BaTiO3 crystal thin-films’, J. Lightw. Technol. 33(10), 1937-1947 (2015).
- D. G. Sun, “A proposal for digital electro-optic switches with FCD effect and Goos-Hanchen shift in silicon-on-insulator waveguide corner mirror,” J. Appl. Phys. 114(10), 104502 (2013).
- D. G. Sun, X. Fu, T. J. Hall, and H. Jiang, “Analysis for the nonlinear electro-optic modulation effect of BaTiO3 crystal thin-film waveguide modulators,” J. Appl. Phys. 113(18), 184502 (2013).
- D. G. Sun, X. Fu, and H. Jiang, “Simulations for dual-rail driven electro-optic modulators of BaTiO3 crystal thin-film waveguides,” Optics Communications 301/302, 152-158 (2013).
- D. G. Sun, T. J. Hall et al., “Experimental comparison of optical loss between the silicon-on-insulator waveguide corner mirrors and curves,” Int. J. Eng. Adv. Technol. 3(2), (2013).
- ZHANG J, FU X., SUN D.-G., et al., “Design and fabrication of BaTiO3 crystal thin-film waveguides,” Acta Photonica Sinica (A China Journal, EI indexed), 42(01), 1-5 (2013).
Publications (Conference Proceedings):
- D. G. Sun et al., “Linear and nonlinear EO modulations of BaTiO3 crystal thin-films for realizing the ultrahigh bandwidth optical modulators,” (Invited), the 37th Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS), Proc. pp4615-4618, Shanghai, China, 8-11 Aug. 2016.
- D. G. Sun, “Modeling and simulations for ultrafast digital optical switches with quantum photonic theory and submicron-scale Si-photonic technology,” (Invited), the Energy Materials Nanotechnology (EMN) on Quantum Technology, Beijing, China, 14-17 April 2015.
- D. G. Sun, “Control of the reflected guided-mode at SOI waveguide corner with an interface modulation scheme of optical effective refractive index based on FCD effect,” (Invited), the 1st Annual World Congress of Smart Materials Processing, Busan, Korea, 23-25 March 2015.
- D. G. Sun et al., “Realization of large reflective surface of silica-waveguide turning corner with strategic deep-trenching,” the 37th PIERS, Shanghai, China, 8-11 Aug. 2016.
- M. Hasan, D. G. Sun, P. Liu, and T. J. Hall, “Toward to high-frequency I-Q modulators,” the 37th Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium, Shanghai, China, 8-11 Aug. 2016.
- D. G. Sun, “Optic-sensing to all-directional weak electrical signals with dual-rail driven electro-optic modulation scheme of BaTiO3 crystal thin-film waveguides,” the 3rd Int. Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology (iCBEB2014), Beijing, China, 25-28 Sept. 2014.
- D. G. Sun et al., “Realization for the high EO modulation depth of SOI waveguide devices,” the Int. Conference on Control Eng.&Inf. Technology, Proc.700-703, Nanning, China, 9-11 Aug. 2013.
- D. G. Sun et al., “Optimization for electro-optic modulation efficiency of silicon-on-insulator waveguide devices with an adjustable pn-junction,” the 10th Int. Conference on Group IV Photonics (the 10th GFP2013), Seoul, Korea, 28-30 Aug. 2013: IEEE Proc. 45-46.